Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Outline numbering:using a 0

"Kimmie B" wrote:

Sorry: I neglected to give you an example of a skipped level.

1.0 Overview (created by applying a Heading 1 style)
1.1.1 Resources Provided (created by applying a Heading 3 style)

In the example above, there is no Heading 2 between the H1 and the H3.

Ideally, the client would like the H3 to be numbered thusly: 1.0.1

Is that possible? I don't want to set the numbering to start at 0 because
that would mess up the majority of instances in which I did not skip a
heading level.

I gave you the answer in my first reply:

"2.0 would have to be "Outline level 2," 2.0.1 would have to be "Outline
level 3."
Just set level 2 to start at 0 instead of 1 and it will work as you want."

;-)

To get:

1.0 Text Level 1
1.0.1. Text Level 3
1.0.2. Text Level 3
1.0.3. Text Level 3
2.0 Text Level 1
2.0.1. Text Level 3
2.0.2. Text Level 3
2.0.3. Text Level 3

Just set level 2 to start at "0", and as you have already done, include the
"0" as a plain character in the number format of Level 1.

If you need

1.0 Text Level 1
1.0.1. Text Level 3
1.0.2. Text Level 3
1.0.3. Text Level 3
1.1.1. Text Level 3
1.1.2. Text Level 3

Your client is just plain weird. Readers will look for 1.1 in the example
above.

You will need a level 2 paragraph between "1.0.3. Text Level 3" and "1.1.1.
Text Level 3". But, if you want it skipped, just set the font attribute of
the level 2 style to "Hidden." In fact, you should also insert one of those
hidden paragraph between "1.0 Text Level 1" and "1.0.1. Text Level 3".