Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Editing Password protected form fields in Word 2007

Hi Veera,

I don't have Word 2003 to test with, so I can't comment on what it might do. I do know, though, that any mergefield you insert into
a formfield in Word 2000 gets deleted as soon as the document is protected. Since text formfields are incompatible with mailmerge in
all Word versions, I'd have expected Word 2003 to behave in much the same way. If the mergefields remained with the protection on
and you were able to use & edit them, then all I can say is that you managed to find a bug in Word 2003 that you were able to
exploit to your advantage. IMHO, the fact that the mergefield apparently remains (though inaccessible) in a protected text formfield
in Word 2007 is a different bug - I also note that, if you update a text formfield in Word 2007 when the document is in an
unprotected state, any mergefield within it gets deleted.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" wrote in message ...
Thanks Macropod.

For the steps that I have mentioned, it is happening outside the Java
application. I created a word document following the steps below and I get
the error. The test is without intercation from our application.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Veera,

Since it's not possible to use Word's text formfields and mailmerge fields in the same document (any text formfields get deleted
when the merge is executed) and your Java programs, which I don't have (and wouldn't even be able to interpret if I did), seem to
be
at the heart of your process, I don't believe much would be gained by you sending the Word files to me. As I said my my previous
post, this really does seem to be an issue with your Java programs, rather than being a Word problem, per se.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" wrote in message ...
Hi Macropod,

I could send the document with the merge field inside a text form field to
show you the problem? How should I send this?

Or

you can the steps to insert a merge field inside Text For Field.

1) In the design mode I selected Legacy Forms -- Text Form Field. This
creates a gray text form field in the document with the cursor in the end.
Move the cursor to the front. This will put the cursor outside the form
field. Now move one column to the right so that cursor is inside the field.
2) Select the Insert tab and click Quick Parts -- Field.
3) In the Field Names List select -- MergeField.
4) Enter say "Name" in the Field Name. This will create Name inside the
form field.
5) Select the Developer tab and click Protect Document. In this check Limit
formatting..., Allow only this type of editing.... and select Filling in
Forms in drop down and then click Start protection.
6) With the document protected click inside the Text Form Field so that the
cursor is in the end. Now use the backspace to delete the entry in the form
field. It will delete any empty spaces available and when it tries to the
delete the merge field we get "This is not a valid selection" message.

We were able to do this in 2003.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Veera,

You can't (and never have been able to) put a mergefield into a formfield. It seems to me your Java apps are trying to
simulate a
mailmerge via Java code. To resolve any issues in that regard, you'll need to examine that code - it's not apparently a Word
problem, per se.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" wrote in message ...
Hi Macropad,

Sorry for the confusion.

We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The document
is protected allowing only editing form fields.

As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values populated
or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In Word
2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.

Hope I am clear now.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Veera,

This is getting confusing!

Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about
what
kind
of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.

Are you working with a:
1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
2. mailmerge main document;
3. mailmerge output file; or
4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps other fields (eg Date)?
If it's:
.. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields, but not mergefields)?
.. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not formfields (eg Date fields)?
If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those
fields
in
protected Section of the document?
If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of formfields are they?

Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" wrote in message ...
Hi Macropad,

Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have merge
fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be populated
with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated value
is when they are getting the error.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Veera,

You mention a Word date field. These are not formfields and are not editable in a Section protected for forms in any
version
of
Word.

Any formfields into which data can be input after protection has been applied should remain editable unless there's an
on-exit
macro
attached to the formfield to change it's editing restrictions.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" wrote in message news We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a
word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After
protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on
back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message
box.

We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were
able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents
to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get
the above error.

.

.

.