TF

From your description, the floppy itself must be badly manufactured.

However, I repeat my advice, never open directly from or save directly to a
floppy. When Word opens or saves a file, it creates temporary files in the
active folder (the floppy in this instance) that it uses for building up the
file structure and for creating a windows locking file to stop other users
opening the file whilst you have it open.

If you have always done this and got away with this, you are in a vast
minority.

Terry

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Sorry if this is a duplicate... not sure if my first send post was
: sent. That's what happens when posting from an internet interface.
:
: sigh
:
: Terry - this isn't the time for sarcasm. I'm a teacher and those
: computers were donated years ago and the floppy drive isn't external -
: do there is no option to use something else more up to date. I am too
: conservative to consider that an EXTERNAL CD-RW is the answer to my
: problem.
:
: YES - floppies are ancient technology, as are the computers I'm having
: trouble with... does this mean you're going to donate some modern
: technology to my classroom so you won't need to scoff at my
: situation?????
:
: I tried to reformat the floppy on the computer that didn't like it and
: it gave me a message as the floppy was a damaged. The other two
: computers didn't reject it, but when I transfered the floppy to my "new
: technology" computer that usually reads such old technology, the floppy
: didn't have any information on it. Maybe the floppy was flawed, but it
: was straight out of the same box that has produced other floppies that
: worked on those computers - so maybe it's a factory problem, in that
: case. I was hoping for a little more insight... does this mean you
: think 3 computers are suddenly out of alignment or the computer reading
: it is out of alignment?
:
:
:
: I'm unclear about reading directly from a floppy drive. Can you
: understand that in the entire time I've used floppies I've done that
: without any problem EVER? I know what you mean by direct write, but
: I'm unclear what you mean by direct read. I've never heard of saving a
: file to HD before reading, but my problem was that the files didn't
: appear on the floppy in the first place - so that wasn't an option.
:
: Glad you brought up ancient technology though. My old/home win98
: finally died this week (haven't given the HD a good, christian burial
: though, because I need to recover data). Soooo looking at new comptuer
: options - I see that an internal floppy isn't an option in many cases.
: I have lots of floppies that I need to read and I want an internal
: floppy drive, but it isn't available with a lot of the Dell options.
::\
:
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:
: My BIG question is about the other drive/s. I'm thinking the
: DVD-RW/DVD option with appropriate software is the option I should
: choose (otherwise it wouldn't be an option), but I need to know the
: situations I would need it for.
:
: Are you up to helping me with things like selecting dual/single channel
: SDRAM?
:
: I'm thinking of selecting (OS) XP-Pro, because it would be convienent
: to be able to access my work computer from home and vice versa... but I
: only want "Home Office" because I need Power Point, but don't need
: anything fancier than Word and Excel beyond that.
:
: Any feedback?
:
: Thanks
: sf
: ````````
:
:
: TF wrote:
: If this was a preformatted disc, it would suggest that the drive you
: tried
: it on is out of alignment. I expect that if you did a full format of
: the
: floppy on that drive, I expect it would have worked. Floppies are
: mechanical
: and very ancient technology.
:
: However, don't do it. You should NEVER save or read a document
: directly
: from/to a floppy. Always use the HDD and then COPY to or from the
: floppy.
:
: The best solution is to throw away the floppy drive and use something
:
: designed for the 21st Century.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "sf" wrote in message
: oups.com...
: : I've had the experience of trying to save a doc on a floppy that I
: knew
: : was formatted and getting that message. When I moved to a
: different
: : computer, I could save onto the disk... so what's wrong with the
: : computer that won't let me save to removable disk?
: :
: : sf
:
: