Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Autocorrect strange problem (MSW 2003)

On May 12, 12:36*pm, JPh12 wrote:
'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:

;494299']Do you have the option to "Automatically use suggestions from
the spelling
checker" selected in the AutoCorrect dialog box? If so, try clearing the

option. (Since I don't use that option myself, I'm not sure if it can do

what you are describing, although it sounds like a possible culprit.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

JPh12

Thank you for following up. You're making a good point, but it's not so
convenient to use the spell checker with automatic suggestions disabled
since one has to go back to the text and make the correction by hand.
The reason I use spell checker so much is because I rely on it to add
accents (I write in French). As a result, my spell checking sessions
last a long time and maybe this extensive use strains the software? Yet
I'd be surprised to have found a bug.[/i][/color]

Stefan isn't suggesting turning off "Automatically
suggest" (Spellcheck wouldn't be much use without it), but
"Automatically _use_ suggestions."

I once had a word processor that offered to change every instance of a
mistake when it found one, but I don't think it was Word. (I almost
never use Spellcheck because my texts are usually full of foreign
words and marking each one for a language, or for Do Not Check, is
tedious indeed.)