Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jan Spruit

Default Grid lines DO print, sometimes, and sometimes not

I'm using a Durch version of Word. I think I must investigate it better to
find out what the lines are exactly. Some cells show a heavy line around
them, and a finer line around the text. What also shows are boundaries of
text fields and of images in text fields.
I also suspect the printer driver, though HP assures me I have the right
one. I will try to print to a file and see if the lines still show when I
send that to the printer in DOS. I hope that will circumvent problems arising
in the network.
I'm not at my work now, but wil investigate next week en let you know what I
find.
--
Jan Spruit
Housing department Amsterdam

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What you describe as "gridlines" *are* borders if they print. The only other
clue I can think of is something similar to the bug described in €śWD2002:
Word Incorrectly Prints Column Break Marks and Section Break Marks€ť at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324326

Which brings us back to the presumption that the problem may be with the
printer driver. Is this an English or Dutch version of Word?

"Jan Spruit" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for your suggestion, but UpdateStylesOnOpen is False, and it's not
only the borders that print, but also the grid lines, what results in a

lot
of lines. And it occurs often, but not always.
I hoped it was a well-known problem with a simple solution. Can't imagine
i'm the only one tripping over these gridlines.

--
Jan Spruit
Housing department Amsterdam

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The only explanation I can think of for this (aside from printer driver
issues) would be the following scenario:

1. You create a document based on Normal.dot or another document

template.

2. You open the document on another computer; if you used a template

other
than Normal.dot, a template with the same name is present on the second
computer.

3. The template in question has a different Table AutoFormat selected as

the
default.

4. "Automatically update document styles" is enabled for the template in
question; the table style would be updated to the different formatting
(borders rather than no borders).

This seems pretty far-fetched, though.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jan Spruit" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Grid lines in tables are supposed to be not printable. The first time

print
my document, the do indeed not show in print. When I print again they

show
(sometimes), and also (hidden) borders. When I close and restart Word,

the
first time printing is OK again. Print preview is always OK.
My printer is HP Laserjet 4250 tn, but it occurs also with other

printers.
do have the right printer drivers (I think).
Tables are used in the headers of thousands of letters we send, so a
solution would be very welcome.