Do your custom heading styles have an outline level other than Body Text
(top right corner of Format | Paragraph)?

"lost" wrote in message
Using Microsoft Word 2003, I've created custom styles in an outline

format.
I've generated a table of contents with no problem. However, since the
document is quite large, I'd like to be able to access different sections

for
editing by using the document map. The help article reads "Document

headings
must be formatted with built-in heading styles ...." I assume it means the
built-in heading styles that came with word. However, when I turn on the
document map, some of my custom styles show but most do not. I've right
clicked on the headings that show and selected 'all', but this does not

work.
anyone?