Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default help on cross references in Word 2007

You can search for REF (cross-reference) fields if you first display field
codes (press Alt+F9 to show/hide field codes). In the Find and Replace
dialog box, you can use ^d REF for "Find what."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ron37" wrote in message
Can you use the Find and Replace option on cross references as well as
bookmarks? What if you use the format painter option to bookmarks and
cross
references would you still have to update the fields to get all the
formatting in line when you do have a bookmark change? If you have a
hyperlink for a bookmark and you made a format painter change in the
hyperlink and then updated it you would still have to update the cross
reference to the hyperlink I believe.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

Any cross-reference that points to a non-existing bookmark will show the
error message "Error! Reference source not found". The bookmark name
inside
the REF field determines what to display. If you deleted the bookmark,
the
field refers to nothing.

Example:
You have bookmarked the text "This is my bookmark" and you have named the
bookmark MyBookmark. You have created a cross-reference to MyBookmark. If
the
cross-reference is defined to include the bookmark text, the field will
now
show the text included in the bookmark, i.e. "This is my bookmark"
(without
the quotes).

If you click in the field and press Shift+F9 to toggle field codes, the
field code will look like:

{ REF MyBookmark \h }

\h means that the field works as a hyperlink.

Let's say you delete the bookmark MyBookmark and create a new one named
MyNewBookmark. You now want the cross-reference to reference the new
bookmark. All you need to do is to replace the bookmark name in the field
code and update the field so it looks like:

{ REF MyNewBookmark \h }

If you have many identical cross-references that need the same change,
you
can toogle all field codes (Alt+F9). You can then use Find and Replace
(Ctrl+H) to search for the old bookmark name and replace it with the new
one.
Update fields afterwards.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Ron37" wrote:

I believe the error when you update the field on a cross reference is
Error!
Reference Source Not Found! I deleted a bookmark name and added another
bookmark name to the list of bookmarks and when I went to update the
field
that error did come up. I did select F9 and Updated all the fields and
got
the error. If you change the bookmark that you deleted for another
bookmark
name how do you update field on the grey highlighted cross reference? I
can't
make it work.