Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default a fraction bug in Equation Editor in Word2007?

Sorry for not being clear. The test (which was actually the opposite of the
one that Jay was talking about in his post) was performed in Word 2007 with
the old Equation Editor. What I found was this:

If the denominator in a fraction inside a square root has a letter with a
descender, such as p, the old Equation Editor will make the square root
bigger, thus making two square roots different in size. For example, this
happens with an expression such as sqrt(a/p) + sqrt(a/b).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bob Mathews" wrote in message
Lee wrote...
When I typed "a\sqrt(b/a)+b\sqrt(a/b) if ab=9"
the height of the first radical became bigger than the second
one. This is a typical example. I am having a quite a few similar
problems in fractions.

and Stefan Blom responded:

FWIW, the same thing seems to happen if you make use of an
Equation object. :-(

I don't follow that. You mean Insert Object Microsoft Equation
3.0? I just tried it in both Equation Editor and MathType, and it
looked "normal" in both cases (meaning that the height of the radical
symbol was the same for both radicals).

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide