Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
BradH BradH is offline

Default "Opening this document will run the following SQL command" prompt problem

Hi Peter,

1. Word 2007

2. Data source is a TXT file

3. Just as you posted this I tried doing that and I think that's fixed my
problem. If once opened I change it to a "Normal Word Document", and then
start the step by step mail merge again from scratch, I got it to work with
the files stored locally on my hard drive.
But, in our production environment it needs to be able to pick up the data
file from a mapped network drive. I've tried linking it to the drive where
it needs to pick it up from but it won't work for some reason. I don't get
the SQL prompt and the document opens with no data source. However if I
place the file on a different network drive that one seems to work. Has got
me stumped for the moment, but I guess this is more a problem with our
network instead of with the actual template.

4. Yes I realise this. I just need it changed for future mail merges.

Thanks for you help.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
1. Which version of Word?

2. What is the data source?

3. Just as a guess, have you tried disconnecting your template from the
data source as a separate step before connecting to the data source you
want? (Word can do something unexpected if you don't)

4. Just in case there is a misunderstanding, changing the data source in
the /template/ won't change the data source in documents that have already
been created from the template - the template and the document have
separate connections to the data source (which may cause other problems in
some cases)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

BradH wrote:
Hi,
we have a mail merge template setup that when opened will show the prompt
"Opening this document will run the following SQL command:", and then
when "Yes" is clicked will import the data source for the merge.

We now need to change the name of the data source that it imports, so
I've tried opening the template, changing the data source and then saving
as a template again. But whenever I do this the SQL prompt that should
come up when it's opened no longer appears, and the data source is no
longer imported automatically.

Can someone suggest how I can change the data source correctly without
losing the SQL prompt when the template is opened?

Thanks.