Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] Mister.Fred.Ma@gmail.com is offline

Default Word 2003 "paste as nested table" not nesting

I have 2 documents. The source document has an table inside a cell of
an outer table. I want to paste this inner table in the cell of an
outer table of the destination document. I hover the cursor over the
inner table until I see the "compass" symbol on the table's upper left
corner (looks like a cross with outward facing arrow heads at the end
of each bar, all inside a box). I click on it to highlight the inner
table, then got to Table-Select-Table. Then I Copy. Going to the
destination table, I put the insertion point in the destination cell
of the outer table. I the "past as nested table". The inner table
gets inserted, but not inside the destination cell. It seems that the
rows get inserted above the destination cell. The inner table being
transplanted has several rows and columns, while the outer table in
the destination document has just 1 column and 2 rows (before
pasting), so the result is quite messy. I confirmed that the
transplanted inner table does not reside in a cell of the outer table
by placing the insertion point in the top cell and deleting the row; I
then undid that, placed the insertion point in the bottom cell and
deleted that row. In both cases, the transplanted inner table does
not get deleted.

What am I doing to prevent the pasted table from being nested within
the destination cell of the outer table of the destination document?
How can I achieve this desired nesting? I'm using Office 2003 on
Windows XP.

Thanks!