c_angler

Suanne:
I would agree that I have a misconception. But, when I try to label each
subheading of a chapter with my Level 2 type heading, then each subheading
gets labeled as Chapter #.1. They all end in .1 because that is how I asked
level 2 to be numbered when I formatted the numbering. And, I followed the
Shelley instructions and formatted the numbering in the Header 1 type only.
Because this happened, I just used Header 3 for subheading 3 in all chapters,
Header 4 for all subheading 4 in all chapters, and it worked.... With the one
flaw: I don't have enough headers to get through the long chapters.
Does this have something to do with checking or not checking the "restart
numbering after" box when formatting the numbers?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I don't have an answer about the continued headings (which I would omit,
though you might want to look into the use of the StyleRef field for this),
but I think you have a misconception about the numbering. The heading
numbers 4.9, 4.10, and 4.11 should all be the same level: Level 2. Assuming
that the chapter number (Chapter 4 in this case) is Level 1, then Level 2
repeats the chapter number and adds its own numbering, from 1 to as high as
you need to count.

"c_angler" wrote in message
Thank You Suzanne.
I had gone to that website before based on your advice to others, and I

must
have been doing something wrong still.
It is working now so far, but 2 more questions.
I adjusted all Levels 1-9, but in at least one chapter, I have more than 8
sub headings. How do I get subheaders after that. For example I need

4.9,
4.10, 4.11, etc.
My second question is: In some chapters the sub headed paragraphs go on

for
more than one page, so I put cont. in the title. However, I do not want

the
"cont" headers in my TOC. For example section 2.1 is on page 3 pages. I

use
the same Header 2 for each of those pages, but on every page after the

first,
I just type the word cont. How do I keep all the continued headers out of
the TOC?
Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You must set up your headings as an outline-numbered list, carefully
following the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"c_angler" wrote in message
I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter titles

are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to be

numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for that, and

tried
modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart numbering
after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are labeled

1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session and still
can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no styles
applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.