Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Fixing a page or frame in place whilst text moves around it

Perhaps this article will give more insight on what you are dealing with:

http://word.mvps.org/mac/pagesinword.html

Don't let the reference to Mac Word dissuade you, PC Word works the same.

The short answer to #1 is: You can't
The short answer to #2 is: For someone without in-depth experience with Word
you'll be better off to do the final layout in a page layout program
designed to handle the type of project you describe or 'hiring' someone to
assemble the final product for you based on the draft copy from Word.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/30/06 3:06 AM, in article
, "Paul"
wrote:

This is really two questions in one but here we go:
I am putting my thesis together and want to include figures in the main
document so that page numbering is correct. I want each figure
(including caption) to be on its own, otherwise blank, page. However I
may do a lot of editing in the future so ideally I want to be able to
fix the fig&caption in place on page... let's say page 10 and have any
text added to p9 to overflow onto p11 (and, obviously if I delete text
from p9, text from p11 should jump back to p9).

My first attempt used page-sized text boxes but I found out that
captions, TOC and cross references don't work in text boxes because
they are in the 'graphics layer'. So I moved on to frames. However I
don't seem to be able to keep the frame in a fixed place. I have
unchecked 'move object with text' but that doesn't seem to actually do
anything!

So my 2 questions in 1 a
1) How can I REALLY fix a frame in place on page X?
2) Is there a better way to achieve what I am trying to do?

(By the way, if there's a relevant difference between Word 2000 and
Word 2003, I'm interested!)