Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Default Formatting restrict will not let me check the box.

Hi Robin,

Someone might, but I don't :-)

I'm using Word 2003 mainly.

I found I had this issue with (so far) one document. In my case all three of
the options in the "Protect Document" task pane were disabled.

Nothing special that I know of with the the document. I couldn't see
anything unusual under File/Properties or Tools/Options.

Tried saving the document as a .rtf file, re-opening it and saving back as a
..doc file. Still disabled.

Tried saving it as a template and creating a new document from the template.
No good.

Ran a macro to check the current protection status. It was -1
(wdNoProtection).

Tried Googling. Didn't find an answer.

Tried copying the document's content (including in this case the last
paragraph mark) into a new document and the new document did not have the
problem.

Hopefully someone can suggest a better answer, but if not maybe the copy to
new document could be a last resort.

Regards.

Ed

"Robin" wrote:

Does anybody know why I can't check the box under Protect Document/Formatting
restrictions?