Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word07 Outline won't properly number

So if I am in the middle of document, a note page or legal document, and
want to invoke a numbered outline that actually links to the outline
numbers
to the outline headers I might have to close the document, invoke a new
one
with the 'correct template,' and then paste everything back in, because
you
can't reset the basic default values, default values that are by most any
person's judgments incorrect, faulty, and a waste of time?

Of course, once one gets the the numbering system connected to the heading
listing (on a per document basis, not as a default), then one has to alter
the heading so that in the standard 'print layout view' the result still
looks like an outline?

The principle is: If you want document A to use formatting available in
document B, copy (the relevant contents of) A into B. Depending on which
styles are in use, you may have to manually apply the appropriate styles,
but at least you don't have to reformat from scratch. Of course you can work
with copies of the documents; that way, you prevent undesired data in
undesired locations. Creating a document from a custom template is one way
to create such a "copy."

In the case of numbering, you can create a document from the appropriate
template, and then use the Insert File dialog box to bring existing contents
into the newly created document.

The approach might be time-consuming and not at all flexible, but it is what
Word offers.

Perhaps one could use the "define new list style" option that we haven't
even talked about. Then one might be able to eliminate the Microsoft
default
"broken connections" selections and create numbering systems that actually
link to the appropriate heading.

List styles do simplify certain aspects of numbering, but note that even if
you use them, you should link numbering to styles as well.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Geodesic" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Note that there are (at least in my copy of Word 2007) two selections in
the
Multilevel List gallery that have 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 numbering. The first does
in
fact have all the levels linked to (no style). But if you select the one
that actually displays Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, etc., you should
find that it is linked to the heading styles.

Let me get this straight: you knew that over half the numbering styles in
fact have no link with the 'corresponding' headings? Then there is not
simple
'default.' And presumably there is no reason for them to be set to '(no
style)' since they would never work in an outline.

"Stefan Blom" wrote 2/13/2010 11:12 AM PST
Once you have linked numbering levels to paragraph styles in a document,
save it as a template; creating documents based on that template would
then
let you reuse the styles (including the numbering).

[...]

I'm sure that college students who simply want to create dynamic writing
outlines for term papers (with the facility to hide or expand child
sub-elements, & move elements around rapidly with shift-alt-arrow), and
who
don't know all the special vocabulary of styles, headings, templates...
will
find this staighforward.