Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default default font

My reply was:

I can't answer about the Thesaurus (I don't use it), but Help is accessed
via F1 as in every other version of Word (and every Windows program) or by
the tiny round question mark button in the upper right corner.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
Suzanne: I was notified of a reply to this post, and the board shows there
is
one, but the reply doesn't show when you open it. ingrid

"weekend" wrote:

Thanks. but now that I've got you, would you also tell me two things:
one,
where is Word Help (if any), so I don't have to go the this site every
time I
have a question? I can't find the help link, which used to stare you in
the
face.....And two, when I select a new word from the Thesaurus, what do
you
click on to get it to substitute for the word you want to change? You
used to
just hit Enter once you selected the new word, but that doesn't work in
this
version of Word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Windows 7 will not change Word 2007, and Office 14 will probably not
change
this feature. If this is a new computer, you probably got a trial
version of
Office 2007 on it. I don't know what Control Panel has to do with
showing
you what version of Word you have (unless you're looking at Add and
Remove
Programs), but it's possible to have both 2003 and 2007 running side by
side
(I do).

In any case, I *think* you can change the default font the same way in
Word
2007; that is, I think that using the Default... button in the Font
dialog
changes the document defaults rather than Normal style directly, so it
would
be okay to do it that way, too.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
news Suzanne: thanks for your patience. Got it. Don't ask me how I got
Word
2007,
because I don't know and neither does my Control Panel. Nevertheless,
hope
Windows 7 makes the change-default option more findable. Thanks
again.
ingrid

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have that layout, then you have Word 2007. You may also have
Word
2003 installed, but what you are viewing, if it has the Ribbon, is
Word
2007. And if it's Word 2007 then you access the Manage Styles dialog
as
described: click the dialog launcher arrow in the bottom right
corner of
the
Styles group (below Change Styles; do NOT click the arrow on the
Change
Styles button) on the Home tab to open the Styles window, then click
the
Manage Styles button in the Styles window; it is the third button
from
the
left in the bottom left corner. In the Manage Styles dialog, choose
the
Set
Defaults tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
Suzanne: this is getting curiouser & curiouser, as Alice used to
say.
The
link you gave me, which claims it covers all Word 2004 and
earlier,
doesn't.
I've been using Word since Word 95, and I know the Standard
Toolbar
where
you
set up your fonts from Format. Word 2003 (which my control panel
assures
me
is the one I have) has the new toolbar system, where Home, Insert,
Page
Layout, etc, each have their own assembly of sub-toolbars. And in
THAT
system, I have Change Styles (not Manage Styles) as a subset of
Home,
and
it
works as I described in my previous reply. Will appreciate any
further
help
you can give me. ingrid

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote

What version of Word? See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm
for
Word
2003 and earlier. For Word 2007, you should change the document
(or
template) defaults in the Manage Styles dialog.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word?
Can't
seem
find
where to do it.