Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default Zip code formatting

If you have some entries formatted as 4 digit zips and some as 9 digit zips
rather than all as numbers, then the simplest solution is to format the
column as text and use the alternative connection method described in the
Excel data section of
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm . Then you won't
need the conditional statement. Simply insert the ZIp field without a
switch.
Currently the '-' in the field conspires against you. The conditional field
would work if you removed that.

kojaks43 wrote:
I used this site and found some great information.

My Excel file contains zip codes that are 00000 and 00000-0000. One
of the suggestions in the above site allows me to make all my 00000
zip codes add actual 0000's to the code so it appears as 12345-0000.
I can live with that, assuming the post office can. I would prefer
if Word could distinguish my 5 digit zips from my 9 digit zips and
output just what was in Excel. However, if it can not, I'll live.

However, when I use the IF statement as shown in the above site, and
then tell Word to Update all Labels in the merge, I get a "," and
"-0000" (w/o the quote marks) in every label on the sheet. i.e. if
there are ten blank labels on the sheet, and I am only merging four
names and addresses, the "," and "-0000" populate the remaining six
labels. The only place that has a "," and the "-0000" is the comma
between city and state fields and the "-0000" comes from the If
statement that has no zip code.

I've checked the characters in the merge fields and all seems to be
fine.

What have I done wrong??

Your guidance is appreciated.

Oh yeah, I am using Word 2003 and Windows 2000.

kojak