Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Default Word 2003 - Margins and Header/Footer

Greetings,
My apologies if this has been covered, I'm having some trouble comprehending
how things interact:
I'm using Word 2003 in XP-Professional.

If I go to File Page Setup and view the Margins tab, the Top and Bottom
settings are "how close to the top and bottom edge the body text will try to
go before opening another page."

If I then go to the Layout tab, the Header and Footer settings are the same:
Won't go closer to the edge than the listed value.

If I have a footer setting of 0.5" and my footer information takes up 0.5"
of space, then I have a 0.5" high footer that starts 0.5" from the bottom,
for a total of 1" of space taken up by the footer.

Because the footer takes up a total of 1" from the bottom, even if my
"Bottom" margin is set for 0.5", the footer will 'block' it and it'll just
have to go to the next page.

Does it sound like I've got the interactions between Body and Footer right?

Also - here's the fun part - I'd like my header and footer to have margins
0.5" from the left and right edges, and the body text to have margins 1"
from the left and right edges. Is that possible? I'd like to avoid using
the Styles and increasing my values by 0.5" because I think that'll only
work on the left side of the page.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane