Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sheila D

Default Why does the Space Bar sometimes Delete words?

You are probably pressing the Insert key on the keyboard and turning
Overwrite on / off. Have a look at OVR on the Status Bar at the bottom of
the screen in Word - if it is bold the overwrite is on and pressing the space
bar will delete/overwrite the next letter.

Sheila

"ST-464" wrote:

i am using Microsoft Word, it is a problem with all versions I have used.
Sometimes, and I have no idea why this happens or how to turn it on or off,
but the Space Bar suddenly becomes a delete button. If I try to enter a word
into a sentence it will automatically overtype the word following it, the
space bar will delete forward, just the same as the backspace will delete
backwards. i have never been able to figure out why this is and what I'm
doing to turn it on and would like to know how to turn it off?