Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] jason@napavintners.com is offline

Default Advanced Word 2003 Mail Merge: Combining Records

Here it is again. Thanks in advance for your help:

{IF {MERGESEQ} = 1"¶

" "" }{SET Donor1 {MERGEFIELD Company }}¶
{ IF {Donor1} {Donor2}"¶

{MERGEFIELD Company}¶

Dear {MERGEFIELD FirstName},¶

----------------------------------- PageBreak
Here are your guests:¶
{MERGEFIELD Guest1}¶
{MERGEFIELD Guest2}" "{MERGEFIELD Guest2}" }{SET Donor2 {MERGEFIELD
Company} }¶

----------------------------------- PageBreak

Note: Even if I remove the last ¶ and page break the additional Guest2
names have a line break before them.

Jason

On Jan 24, 11:41 pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
It would be easier to debug this if you included all of the field
constructions, inserting a ¶ (Alt+0182 on the numeric keypad) where you have
an enter or shift+enter in the field constructions.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Hey all:

I've created a merge based somewhat on these instructions:
http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815
that allows me to group similar records to display on one page.

For example: I have two tables: Registrants and Guests. Registrants
contains a list of companies and the main attendee, while Guests
contains additional people attending. These tables are linked through
an ID field and I'm able to display all the guests for a given company
on one page in my merge document. One problem... when a company has
more than two additional guests I get a line break before each
additional guest. Below is a snippit of what the code looks like. In
this example the records are grouped on Company.

------------------------------------
{IF {MERGESEQ} = 1"

" "" }{SET Donor1 {MERGEFIELD Company }}
{ IF {Donor1} {Donor2}"

{MERGEFIELD Company}

Dear {MERGEFIELD FirstName},

Here are your guests:
{MERGEFIELD Guest1}
{MERGEFIELD Guest2}" "{MERGEFIELD Guest2}" }{SET Donor2 {MERGEFIELD
Company} }

Here's the weird part... If I put any characters, line breaks or page
breaks after the last } each additional Guest2 will have a line break
before it. If I make it the last line on a page, the list of Guests
appears in one block.

Any thoughts???