Jay Freedman

Hi Ted,

To understand the "why", you have to know that the entire table of contents
is just one field. (Right-click in it and select Toggle Field Codes to see
that this is true, then repeat to get back the usual display.) As soon as
you update the field, any direct formatting you've applied to the TOC is
thrown away. The only permanent formatting comes from the styles TOC1, etc.
that Word automatically applies based on the levels of the headings and/or
TC fields.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Stefan Blom wrote:
Modify the "TOC 1", "TOC 2" etc. styles to suit your needs; you can do
this via the Index and Tables dialog box. Make sure that you select
the "Add to template" check box for each modified style.

"Ted" wrote in message
Would someone tell me how & possibly why I cannot get Word 2003 to
preserve the Format of a Table of Contents? I have it configured
with spacing, Font sizes, tab leaders & all. However when you
create a New Document it gets lost.
thx,
Ted