C Tate

And there was me thinking I had asked a dumb question!
"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...
Now you are making me envious ;-) I think ICL was still on hot type for
the
manuals printed 'properly' (as opposed to rubber glued masters for short
runs) when I first joined, but I didn't ever get to see the print works.
(If
things were urgent enough, authors travelled to Letchworth to do their
page
proofing and indexing while the presses waited, but mine all had
relatively
leisurely turn round.)

As far as a proper equipment was concerned - well, we did find the wax
roller a really worthwhile investment, but the 'studio' was a converted
outhouse, the cutting board borrowed from the kitchen, and the working
bench
the top of the chest freezer ;-)

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You make me quite envious. I was always intrigued by the way things were
done in proper setups, but I never had the equipment myself (or really
any
need for it, since I was producing only MS). But my grandfather was a
printer, so I did get to have my name cast in Linotype every summer,

wander
amongst the presses, play with the perforating machine, watch the folder
(whose operations were nothing short of miraculous, but too rapid to
fathom), and (as sternly warned) stay strictly clear of the guillotine.

so
all may benefit.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...
LOL - this thread certainly brought back some memories :-). In the
1970s

ICL
provided cans of rubber cement for the odd occasions when the authors

did
their own CRC. I can remember a colleague literally falling over in
hysterics at the end of a long afternoon pasting in pictures of data

entry
forms. (I also remember when the cleaners, searching for coins or
snacks

in
someone's top drawer, left a poorly lidded can on its side ... ).

When we got into CRC in a big way here in the 80s we quickly found that
sticking graphics into hundreds of pages of troff output and meeting
printers' deadlines demanded a proper scalpel, wax roller kit and a
home-made light box.

By that stage we had an artist producing graphics on the Mac and had

left
the Rotring and the Letraset behind - I think the Letraset finally got
thrown out when it started spattering tiny shards in the drawer with
the
slide rule!

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I did this only in an amateurish sort of way. I used rubber cement,

too,
though also flirted with glue sticks and spray adhesive and roll-on
adhesives of various sorts. It would have helped tremendously to have

light box, something I acquired only after my need for it was largely

over
(I had to depend on eyeballing and windowpanes). But my paste-ups
were

not
for CRC--just manuscripts.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Rubber cement was a buzz, indeed, (although I have grave doubts

about
the
quality your cannabis!) ... but a waxing machine was what the pros

all
used.

I'll bet your Letraset's lost all its serifs by now.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
You used wax? We used rubber cement -- almost as much fun as

cannabis!
We had a little photosetter for headlines, but we did use tons of
Letraset for labeling illustrations. I still have a box of it

tucked
away under my desk (not far from the slide rule).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:57:20 +1100, "Jezebel"
wrote:

Not nearly as much fun, though. Don't you miss the smell of wax,

or
all
those hours spent Letrasetting the headings?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
.. .
In the "olden days" when I created documents on a typewriter,

CRC
was
routinely "shot down" because typewriter text was large and

ungainly
and
illustrations that weren't necessarily perfect were enhanced by
reduction.
In those days, graphs, drawings, photographs, etc., had to be

pasted
up
on
the CRC. If you'd ever visited a newspaper or an ad agency, you
would
have
seen people "making up pages" in this way. Creating a document

using
page
layout software (or even word processing software such as Word)

is
exponentially easier than it was in those days!

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"C Tate" wrote in

message
Thank you both very much indeed for such helpful replies. Is

there
anything
I can refer to to learn even more about this? (It sounds like

just
making
sure your document is perfect for the camera though there are
sometimes
other considerations such as the CRC being a fixed percentage
larger
than
the ultimate output).

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
C Tate wrote:
Hope this doesn't seem a slightly off the wall question!
But

if
somebody asks for 'camera ready copy' in Word what exactly

do
they
mean?!!!!

In offset printing (the cheapest, easiest method), someone

uses
press
camera to take a picture of each original page. Through

several
steps
the
negative from that camera is used to make printing plates

that
apply
ink
sheets of paper. The original page is "camera ready" when it
contains
all
the text and graphics that should be in the final printing,

and
nothing
else. (Technically, since the film in the press camera is
insensitive
light blue, it's possible to write comments on camera ready

pages
with
light
blue pencil. This is usually allowed only in the margins,
though.)
It
means
a spell-check has been done, all corrections have been made,

all
fonts
and
formatting are in place, headers and footers are included,

etc.

This isn't exclusively a Word thing -- in fact, once you've

used
the
computer printer to put a Word document on paper, it doesn't
matter
whether
the pages came from Word or from Mars. In fact, I would
never

say
that
document is "camera ready" while it exists only as an

electronic
document.

The amount of work needed to convert camera ready copy into
printing
plates,
and the extra work and expense that may be needed to fix

errors
after
that
stage, mean that you have to be very sure that everything is
right
before
you say the pages are "camera ready".

--