Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Default how to create a stair step chart

Ronica wrote:
I'm trying to create a chart that looks like a flight of stairs going
from the lower left of the page to the upper right of the page. I've
looked in the templates online, but I don't see any. Can someone
help me?

Assuming you're using the Chart object (Insert Object Microsoft Graph
Chart):

- Click just inside the shaded box, right-click, and select Chart Type. In
the dialog, choose an XY(Scatter) type, and choose the subtype of "Scatter
with points connected by lines without markers" (the bottom-right one).
Click OK.

- (Optional) Right-click one of the grid lines in the chart, select Format
Gridlines, and change its color, weight, style, etc.

- In the data sheet, start by typing each X value twice; for example,
X value 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4

- Below each X value, type a Y value. Again, each value is entered twice,
but offset like this:
X value 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4
XY 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5
This pattern forms the stair step: two Y values with the same X value, two X
values with the same Y value, repeat as needed.

This kind of pattern can also be created in an Excel chart and imported or
linked into a Word document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman