Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Is this possible...?

Undoubtedly a macro could do this. The problem with a macro, though, is that
your other users will get a macro prompt and may elect to disable macros.

"josi" wrote in message
Have tried this at home. I thought it was working but having sent the doc

my husband's PC and done a Save As (as would be done at the office, the
initials did not automatically update. Of course, I could update manually
but the others in the office would not do that!

I don't suppose a macro could be written to automatically update the
initials, either when the document is open or saved/printed?

"ab" wrote in message
Will try that! Thanks

"Tom Ferguson" wrote in message
You might use an inserted field. For example, place thge cursor at an
appropriate place, navigate to insert fiels and selece user initial
from the list.

If whomever subs for you is in the habit of opening an old file and
modifying it, there are situatiopns in which the field will not update.
However, given that that person is not using your computer, there is a
good change the initials will change to those recorded in User
Information in the Word of the machine being used.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"josi" wrote in message
This may seem a very strange question but is something I have been
thinking
about for a while. This is the situation:

I work in an office as the only typist for several people. At the top

of
letters is a reference made up of the initials, in upper case, of the
person
who has dictated (or handwritten) the letter followed by an oblique
stroke
and my initials (in lower case letters).

So far, so good. However, if I am absent for any reason, the people

type
their own letters by using a previous document and Save As..., or even
type
a letter from scratch. They always use the same reference at the top

of
the
letter (i.e. including my initials).

Apart from an element of pride (I confess!) as they aren't very

accurate
typists, this can lead to confusion when at some future date, they

query
something which I have supposedly typed.

What I would love to do is to find some way of unobtrusively

indicating
in a
document when I have actually typed it. I have thought of entering
somethng
in the document properties but that wouldn't work when they use Save
As...

Any ideas, please?