Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default How to: Page 1 - two columns, Page 2(ff) - one column

When you say "move the section break to keep the formatting as desired" do
you mean the text in section 2 needs to be moved, ie to the start of the next
page?
If so, either insert a page break just after the Continuous break, or apply
the Page Break Before setting to the first text on page 2 (section 2), this
can be found under Format, Paragraph, Line and Page Breaks Tab.
If I have misunderstood what you mean, apologies.
DeanH

"Gerry" wrote:

Let me start by stating that I have succeeded in formatting my
document as indicated in the subject line: Page 1 has two columns and
Page 2 (and all pages following) have one column. The problem is that
the approach used to achieve this must be wrong.

Starting with an existing document, configured the document for two
columns. I then inserted a section break (continuous) and formatted
the second section for one column. By moving the location of the
section break, I am able to format the document exactly as desired.

However, I cannot believe that MS Word 2003 is so poorly designed that
each time I edit the text on page 1, that I have to move the section
break to keep the formatting as desired. There must be a 'correct'
approach for formatting the document as specified.

I look forward to your suggestions. Thank you.