Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Default System information in Word 2007

Thank you. I see it now, or, rather, I don't. I can only conclude that
Office 2007 appears to confuse Windows XP System Information - so much so
that Windows Vista System Information doesn't even bother to try and deal
with Office. I am not aware of anything else that provides all the
information, though it might be interesting to try to write something. Sorry
not to be more helpful!

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
Thanks, Tony.

Here's what I get when I click System Info from within W2007.

Word version 2007
System information
Office applications
MSO Word 2007

Application name Microsoft Word
Version 12.0
Build 6331
Product ID 81605-903-4010097-65395
Application path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
Language English (United States)
System language designation English (U.S.)
Active printer Canon iP4200 on NE06:

Documents open 1
Document name Not Available
Document path Not Available
Document size Not Available
Document create date Not Available

The summary goes on to list the templates (5) and add-ons (4 of the 5)
that
are loaded.

Active document:
Name Not Available
Path Not Available
Size Not Available
Create date Not Available
Author Not Available
Last saved date Not Available
Last author Not Available
Template Not Available
Characters Not Available
Characters (with spaces) Not Available
Words Not Available
Lines Not Available
Paragraphs Not Available
Pages Not Available
Sections Not Available
View Not Available
Allow fast saves False
Window position Not Available
Document contains Not Available
Notable Has password
Notable Has routing slip
Notable Master document
Notable Subdocument
Notable Protected for revisions
Notable Read only
Notable Read only recommended
Notable Password required to modify

All the other screens except startup folder, COM Add-ins, file converters,
fonts, and settings (which are Word instead of document settings) says
"not
available".

Tony Jollans wrote:
That MS KB Peter provided is amongst the least helpful I've seen recently.
It simply says you don't get the information on Vista and doesn't tell you
why or what you can do about it.

The System Information button just provides a way from Word to run the
Windows tool (otherwise available from Start All Programs Accessories

System Tools System Information). What you see depends on your Windows
version, although Windows may, in turn, query Word to be able to provide
Word-related information.

On XP, where I have several versions of Word installed, I do see all sorts
of information about Word 2003 and Word 2007 and an Active Document - but
it
is decidedly confused, both about the document and the language it wants
provide the information in. 2003 and 2007, and even Word 95, provide
exactly
the same information (they are all running the sme tool). I don't have an
XP
system with just 2003, or just 2007, to check. What do you see under Word
2007, Pam, if you have no document information?

Vista shows nothing Word-related at all.

Peter, thank you very much for checking this. But I am using XP, and I
am
getting information about Office 2007 and Word 2007, just no
information

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]
thanks,
Pam