David A Edge

Thanks for the reply, which I appreciate.

I have already got a copy of the converter you suggest, DOSWRD32.CNV, which
I had rejected in favour of the RTF route. I find that both options have
shortcomings in converting symbols; and though the first succeeds with the
underscore, the converted page length does not match so nearly my accustomed
page length - in Courier font - as does the RTF option. (Text requires a
greater length of page than before, though the width is unaffected.)

It seems my originally-stated problem (non-displaying underscore) may be a
result of Courier incompatibility between Word for DOS and Word 2002. In
Word 2002, I have now discovered that I can make the hitherto non-displayed
underscores appear on screen by selecting a suitable block of text, including
paragraph marks, and changing the font to Courier New (the only Courier
option available). But this also has the effect of expanding that block of
text height-wise - so I might as well have used DOSWRD32.CNV. (I would
prefer to stick with Courier, at least initially. It seems odd that Word
2002 should be less efficient than Word for DOS in that respect.)

I shall root around a bit more. But I would appreciate any additional
informed comment.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The Word for DOS filter is linked from the downloads page of my web site. I
do not claim it will work any better, but it would save some time and can be
used with the batch conversion wizard.

David A Edge wrote:
I use the underscore character (_) regularly. Just now, I am in the
process of transferring from Word for DOS to Word 2002, converting my
data files via RTF. I find that some RTF files opened in Word 2002
accept and display the underscore quite normally, but others refuse
to do so (whether via the keyboard or as an inserted symbol). And
yet the very same RTF files opened in Word for DOS all accept and
display the underscore without any problem. What must I do to ensure
that any RTF file (and any other file) opened in Word 2002 will
accept and display the underscore?