Posted to microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] sales@toolbartoggle.com is offline

Default Use Word 2003 menus and toolbars in Word 2007

Terry -

I really appreciate all the feedback people have given on this
regaring the size of the setup program. And your suggestion is
excellent - So that we implement this correctly I'd really appreciate
any feedback on these questions:

Please try and anwser these from the perspective of the very non-
technical user.

Background
----------------
1. Currrently, inside one zip file, we have two sef-extracting
EXE's. One EXE is the installer for ToolbarToggle and the oher is for
ToolbarToggleLite.
2. Each EXE has a copy of the .NET 2.0 framework 9in case the use
decideds to put one app on one machine and the other app on the other
machine) - this won't change - we don't want the user dynamically
downloading versions of the framework for a number of reasons.
3. We have a few KB fixes we must install if the user hasn't already -
this can't change.

So together - that comes to 35mb

Questions
---------------

1. How should we offer the downloads? 1 Combined zip or 2 separate
EXE's? or 2 separate Zips? (each seperate ZIP / EXE will be 35mb and
the combined will be 70mb)
2. If your answer above is seperate downloads, what is a way to
explain it that is less confusing to the non-technical user? If you
know of any sites that explain this well that would help?
3. Should we have text telling people the size and expected download
times - does that help?
4. What else is needed but wouldn't be confusing for the non-technical
user?

Currently,
1. Should we offer a zip download

On Apr 14, 4:11 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
I can't see this suggested, but forgive me if it has: why not provide two
separate downloads, one for the Lite version and a separate one for the full
version.

And by the way: Microsoft assure me that you won't sell any of these because
users never edit their toolbars! g

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message

oups.com...

Patrick, you have a point but its not completely accurate to say we
have the .NET framework in the zip file twice.

What we do have is two separate installers becauseToolbarToggleand
ToolbarToggleLite are completely separate programs which users may -
or may not choose to install on the same machine. Hence, each is a
stand-alone installer for a stand-alone application.

From what we have been told,

High speed downloads average 1-4 minutes.
56k dial-ups between 21 and 30 minutes.

We completely empathize with any complaints that dial up users have
and if we could significantly improve the download speed while trying
to provide bullet proof installers we would. That said, if for any
reason a ~25 minute download (or even if it were a 1 hour download)
somehow prevents a user from benefiting from whatToolbarToggleoffers
- we totally respect their opinion and hope they will look past the
pain of the initial download.

ToolbarTogglecan be so helpful for users by easing their migration to
Office / Word / Excel 2007 and returning the UI capabilities power
users want as well like creating their own toolbars / menus with drag-
and-drop AutoText and Macro buttons. It would be unfortunate if the
download size prevented people from missing these features and not
getting the full benefits that Office / Word / Excel 2007 has to
offer.