Posted to microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Default Use Word 2003 menus and toolbars in Word 2007

2. Each EXE has a copy of the .NET 2.0 framework 9in case the use
decideds to put one app on one machine and the other app on the other
machine) - this won't change - we don't want the user dynamically
downloading versions of the framework for a number of reasons.

Why not? Dynamically downloading the framework & Windows Installer 3.1
is a viable approach. No single user of my add-in has complained about
any problems with that to me. If you want to be on the safe side, offer
the main download without the framework and windows installer packaged
while you also have an alternate download that has the two things
packaged.

3. We have a few KB fixes we must install if the user hasn't already -
this can't change.

You don't. As long as you package Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.dll,
Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll, office.dll,
Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.dll, stdole.dll and extensibility.dll in your MSI
(and I think you won't get away without registering extensibility.dll in
the GAC, the others I know you don't have to), you'll be fine. The
KB908002 you are currently installing is only needed because it contains
extensibility.dll. MS changed the KB to list that it applies to Office
2007 too, because I asked them too. I only figured out recently when I
went from a VS setup program to a wix based one, that all the KB helped
with was extensibility.dll. I still need to ask MS to change the KB to
reflect the real situation.

If you don't want to change to dynamic downloading of the Framework and
the Windows Installer, why don't you package it all into one
self-extracting EXE? Name one setup program setupToolbarToogle.exe and
the other setupToolbarToogleLight.exe. Then write a tiny native
setup.exe program that presents the user with a choice of either
installing ToolbarToogle or ToolbarToogleLight. Depending on the user
choice's, launch the appropriate setup program and you are all set. This
way you cut your size easily into half because you only have the .net
framework and windows installer in there once.

I'd definitely advise to post the size of the download on your website
next to any download link. I personally wouldn't be surprised if a good
number of users start the download and abort it when they see the size.
Announcing it before they start the download might prevent that.
Size is often a perception issue, and add-ins are perceived to be small
things. For example, I had one user complain to me about the download
size of my add-in when it from somewhere around 6 MB to 10 MB for a
particular private build I gave that user. He was very happy to hear
that I got it back down to around 7...

68 MB is simply too large. It is a reason for users to not even try your
add-in.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net