What OS are you using? What version of Word? In Windows 2000, I always get a
list of all installed programs, whether the file extension is known or not
(and in my case Word is listed as Microsoft Office Word). How else would you
be able to associate unknown file extensions with a program?

"Flip" FlipatKonitechPuntnl wrote in message
The file cannot be opened because its extension is unknown. A doubleclick
does give me a choice to either look on the Internet for a program or to

choose from a list. I choose the list, this must be the same list that you
mean: A box with several apps, ther also is the checkbox "Always use this
program to open these files."
Winword or "Microsoft Word for Windows" simply is not in this list.

There also is a button 'Browse' in this way I navigate to Programm
Files-Microsoft Office-WINWORD.EXE
This only brings me back to the Open With box which still shows the app

list
without Word

sorry,
Flip

Suzanne S. Barnhill schreef in berichtnieuws
I think I see now what your problem is. You are looking for Word on the

Open
With context menu. You should instead be choosing Choose Program, which
opens a list of all the apps on your computer. You can then select Word

and
check the box for "Always use this program to open these files."

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Flip" FlipatKonitechPuntnl wrote in message
Suzanne,
If the file has .doc you see a 'Microsoft Word for Windows' in the

list
If the file has no or someother extension there is nothing about Word

in
the
list. In older Windows versions Word was listed as Winword.
Other Officeparts (Excel, Frontpage) are there.
Flip

Suzanne S. Barnhill schreef in berichtnieuws
Are you looking for "Word" or "Microsoft Word"?

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Flip" FlipatKonitechPuntnl wrote in message
Hi NG,
With O2000 on XP-Home SP2 I tried openening a file with an unusual
extension.
Knowing the file, using Windows Explorer to get there I then press
Shift+RightClick to open the 'Open with...' dialogue. Ok, this

method
is
not
necessary anymore, I 've done that too many times :-)

The problem: Word is not in the list!
I renamed the file several times with different or no extension

without
result.
Word only shows up (recommended) in the list if a file already has

the
.doc
(or .dot) extension.

From within Word there is no problem opening 'strange' files.
Reason: This is an old tric to quickly associate a filetype to a
programme,
Word in this case.

Flip