Martinphilip

Default Automatic Update with character styles

Word 2002
I have many documents created using my template. I have recently carried
out major change to paragraph styles in the template. All documents have
template loaded and "automatically update document styles" box checked. I
have set up Word's inbuilt style Heading 3 in template to have font size 20.
However, every document after I open it, shows font size 14 which it had
previously.
I have narrowed the problem down to a character style which appear to be
present for Heading 3 in the documents. My problems ar three fold
Where did the character style come from? (is it from the normal template
which I cannot get rid of?)
How do I get rid of the character style? (Word will not allow Heading 3 to
be deleted -even just the character style).
How can I ensure that Update Document style simply overwrites the any
character style in the document? Surely that is what it is for. If I cannot
ensure consistency across all my document styles then it appears that
Microsoft has destroyed the principal of using styles.
--
Martin