Assuming the headings use specific numbered styles (as they should), then a
toolbar or menu containing these styles would make it easy for them. You can
easily assign styles to a toolbar or menu using Tools | Customize, and if
you want buttons, you could label them with a big 1, 2, 3. There are also
built-in keyboard shortcuts for Headings 1-3.

"c_angler" wrote in message
Suzanne:
Thank you so much for your help. It is working!!
I did type a number in the "number format" box in an effort to "force" the
numbering to look the way I wanted it to. I have used Word for years now,

but
have never had to format entire manuals AFTER they have been written.

Still
I should know better than to think I can force Word to do anything.

I would like to create a template or macro (not sure which), so that our
manuals will be formatted as our writers write them, but I would design

how
the layout would look. For instance, I want them to be able to hit a

button
in the toolbar for every time they start a chapter heading, and hit a

button
in the toolbar every time they need to type a subheading.
Where can I go for more information on that?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds as if you must have typed a 1 into the "Number format" box for
Level 2. You need to delete that and select 1, 2, 3 from the "Number

style"
box and set the numbering to restart after Level 1.

To clarify: Heading 1 is used for the top-level heading in the document.

In
your case this is probably the chapter number. Heading 2 is used for

your
Level 2 subheads--all of them. Heading 3 is for #3 heads, Heading 4 for

heads, and so on--with the proviso that there shouldn't be any "and so

on."
Any document that uses more than four levels of subheads will be

unreadable
(and this *does* apply to bureaucratic and legalistic mumbo-jumbo).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"c_angler" wrote in message
Suanne:
I would agree that I have a misconception. But, when I try to label

each
subheading of a chapter with my Level 2 type heading, then each

subheading
gets labeled as Chapter #.1. They all end in .1 because that is how I

asked
level 2 to be numbered when I formatted the numbering. And, I

followed
the
Shelley instructions and formatted the numbering in the Header 1 type

only.
Because this happened, I just used Header 3 for subheading 3 in all

chapters,
Header 4 for all subheading 4 in all chapters, and it worked.... With

the
one
flaw: I don't have enough headers to get through the long chapters.
Does this have something to do with checking or not checking the

"restart
numbering after" box when formatting the numbers?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I don't have an answer about the continued headings (which I would

omit,
though you might want to look into the use of the StyleRef field for

this),
but I think you have a misconception about the numbering. The

heading
numbers 4.9, 4.10, and 4.11 should all be the same level: Level 2.

Assuming
that the chapter number (Chapter 4 in this case) is Level 1, then

Level
2
repeats the chapter number and adds its own numbering, from 1 to as

high
as
you need to count.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"c_angler" wrote in message
Thank You Suzanne.
I had gone to that website before based on your advice to others,

and
must
have been doing something wrong still.
It is working now so far, but 2 more questions.
I adjusted all Levels 1-9, but in at least one chapter, I have

more
than 8
sub headings. How do I get subheaders after that. For example I

need
4.9,
4.10, 4.11, etc.
My second question is: In some chapters the sub headed paragraphs

go
on
for
more than one page, so I put cont. in the title. However, I do

not
want
the
"cont" headers in my TOC. For example section 2.1 is on page 3

pages.
use
the same Header 2 for each of those pages, but on every page after

the
first,
I just type the word cont. How do I keep all the continued

headers
out of
the TOC?
Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You must set up your headings as an outline-numbered list,

carefully
following the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"c_angler" wrote in message
I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter

titles
are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to

be
numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for

that,
and
tried
modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart

numbering
after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are

labeled
1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session

and
still
can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no

styles
applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.