Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to Open Template as Template NOT as '.doc' ?

Doug - I don't think you read my post fully. I had already stated that
IF they right click on the template, then yes, it opens as a template.
Problem is, end-users will do what they will do, and create constant
issues for Tech Support to sort out. All issues will go away if we can
get the template to open as a template REGARDLESS of how it is opened.
The reason we must have them open templates as templates is because the
templates are accessed by a third-party product (sdOffice) which passes
data to the template to do a mail merge. Without using templates, the
sdOffice application encounters constant messages of the document being
in use... We already know it SHOULD be as simple as being a training
issue, but our hands are tied. As Tech Support, we are told we must
help them do things in the wrong way.

So again, all our problems go away if we can perhaps parameterize the
Open to always open the Template as Template - EVEN if the end-user
uses Windows Explorer, and double-clicks on the document name (which
currently opens it as an unnamed '.doc' - as Templates are typically
expected to do.)

Thanks again. Kind regards,
Cole

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
If that is causing a problem, then almost certainly, your users should NOT
be opening templates. Seems to me like a bit of education is in order for
all of you.

That said, if you right click on a template in Windows explorer and select
Open, the template will be opened.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
Background:
We have users that get themselves tangled up by going into Windows
Explorer, opening a template via double clicking on it so it opens as a
'.doc'. Then they go to save it, and it cannot be saved as a Template
back to the same location and name. This causes constant problems for
us in tech support.

Is there a way to tweak settings so it does not matter whether they
double click on the template name or Right-click / Open in the Explorer
Window - it will still open the Template as a Template (.dot)?

If they go into Word, click on Open and then they drill down to our
custom Templates folder where there are only templates, and they either
double click on one to open it, or highlight it and click on Open - I
believe this part works to open the Template as a Template of the
original Template name.

This would help us greatly! Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Kind regards,
Cole