Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default old license

If more people felt like you did, Office might not be quite as expensive as
it is.

Is your friend still using that software?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"EB" wrote in message
Hi! I bought a laptop with Windows XP on it, but being between jobs, I
couldn't afford to buy MS Office *too*, although I like it a lot -- I
settled
for Open Office instead. MS Word has some advantages and I would like to
use
it, so I asked a friend if she had an extra license I could use.
My friend found her old Office 97 installation media, together with the
license certificate and agreements and all that, and I was able to install
it
on my machine, but my conscience does not let me use it because I
understand
that this copy of 97 was intended only for use on my friend's machine, the
one she bought it on.
Part of me says "97 is so old anyway, and as soon as you are able to buy
the
current version, you will. This will help you get there." Another part
of
me says, "the agreement says this was just for the original machine, and
certainly at most it should be used on only one machine -- you know yours
would be at least a second copy."
I wish I could find someone in MicroSoft who would help me out, confirming
one side or the other (yes, even though I think I know which side would
win),
or if possible, giving me another alternative.
I used to use Star Office and liked it very well, but it's not free
anymore.
I think it was once shareware or something.