Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Safer of 2 methods for very long doc

OK, I was a bit imprecise.

The text will flow back before the picture only within the same page. In the
situation grammatim described, Word will _not_ backfill the empty space at the
bottom of the page that originally contained the anchor paragraph; both the
paragraph and the picture move to the next page. To let it backfill the
preceding page, you have to manually move the anchor to a later paragraph.

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 18:13:06 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Actually, text does flow around the floating object (both back and forth);
you just can't have a full-page floating object.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
.. .
Well, you already knew that Microsoft subscribes to the Red Queen school
of word
definitions. ;-)

You're correct, in Word the text does not flow from after a 'floating'
object to
fill the space before it.

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:50:50 -0700 (PDT), grammatim

wrote:

Oh -- that's something different. In FrameMaker, when you make
something Float, it goes to the top of the next page (next column) if
it won't fit on the page its anchor is on, and the text flows around
it. Since Word isn't page-oriented, I don't expect it can do that.

On Apr 12, 11:43 am, Jay Freedman wrote:
At the risk of going somewhat off-topic:

I'd appreciate knowing how you "float" a table, which is something
built into FrameMaker but I have never discovered in Word.

The easy way: When the mouse pointer hovers over the table, a small
square
containing a 4-way arrow appears off the northwest corner of the table.
If you
drag that square, the table becomes a floating object.

The harder way: Go to the Table Properties dialog and click the Around
button
under Text Wrapping. Also, once the table is floating, the None button
in the
dialog is the only way to get it in-line again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 05:59:45 -0700 (PDT), grammatim

wrote:

What are you calling "very, very long"? Some people posting here say
that a 100-page document is "very, very long," but it wouldn't be
problematic in the least.

I'd appreciate knowing how you "float" a table, which is something
built into FrameMaker but I have never discovered in Word.

On Apr 12, 3:06 am, Mark Tangard ]
speakeasy.net wrote:
A user of mine will shortly build a very very long Word document with
2-column
text and many, many tables, all of them full-page-width and about
one-half page
high.

I see 2 main ways to do this:

(1) Float each table, so that it displaces the text like a picture,
OR:

(2) Place a section break before and after each table, make they
section they
enclose a one-column layout, and have the table sit there "inline"
rather than
floating.

After the file is assembled it'll be edited often, but not
drastically, so ease
of editing & reformatting isn't an issue. And I'll probably write a
macro for
her to do the inserting, so the number or complexity of steps won't
be much an
obstacle. We're mainly concerned with the stability of what may be a
very large
file.

Given that concern, which method would you choose? Is #2 more likely
to have
problems because it'll have a large number of section breaks (which
we all know
are evil incarnate)?

Also, up til now, due to bad experiences with the "positioning"
feature in Word
tables long ago, I've always used frames to float tables. Is that any
wiser?

Any opinions appreciated. Word 2003, WinXP.

MT-