Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Please give us REVEAL CODES like WORD PERFECT not reveal codes

I don't expect to change your mind about Word & won't even endeavor to do
so, other than to point out that there are myriad features within the
program of which you seem to be unaware and unwilling to learn. It's your
prerogative to do so, just remember that the first word in your original
post was "Help." That's what the people here are trying to do.

With reference to that there are a few comments in-line below:

On 8/18/07 7:42 PM, in article
, "ALeiS"
wrote:
snip

Responding to another comment: YES, there are a lot of people who CAN tell
whether a comma is italicized just by looking at it. It is these people who
decide or at least influence whether an article gets published or whether a
court accepts an appeal-something that can affect a client's money, custody
of their children, whether or for how long they go to prison, and, in rare
cases, whether they live or die. I don't expect you to understand, but trust
me, the citations have to be perfect because even a few mistakes damage the
writer's credibility--and damaged credibility means diminished persuasive
effect. The way the Word program is written makes checking these things a
lot more difficult than it needs to be.

It is a sad and frightening indictment of the legal system & the people
within it if italicized commas are pivotal in determining the outcome in any
of these issues, let alone the life or death of a human being. I was always
under the impression that the time crunch in the legal arena was due to case
load rather than time being spent examining commas through a magnifying
glass. Perhaps the system & its cadre should be under even more intense
scrutiny than the paperwork they shuffle.

Regarding my "sarcastic tone," I was responding in kind to the tone of the
"Life after Reveal Codes" article. Have you read it? It isn't exactly
written in a diplomatic tone. In addition to its condescending tone, the
content of the article shows that the author has absolutely no understanding
of the concerns faced by people who are looking for the nonexisent Word
equivalent of 'reveal codes.'

Yes, I've read it several times. Further, as a 12-year user & trainer of
WordPerfect (including the Legal Office version) I drew none of the same
conclusions about the article or its author. All that notwithstanding, the
individual who referred you to the article *isn't* the one who wrote it -
your sarcasm was directed toward Dian.

Thanks to all for confirming my suspicions that it just can't be done in
Word. And I do appreciate everyone trying to help. Unfortunately, no one
seems to fully appreciate the real issue; as a result these postings are all
just regurgitations of what others have already posted.

The only suspicions which have been confirmed are that some people refuse to
learn how to get it done and choose to snipe at and dismiss those who offer
assistance. Before slinging more accusations alleging "condescending tone"
you might re-read the last sentence in the above quote - as well as a number
of others throughout your posts. Your insinuation & innuendo that the
contributors to this forum are any less demanding or conscientious about
their work than those in "your profession" are overly abundant, and to
further suggest that they are unable to "appreciate the real issue" is at
once offensive and insulting.

Thanks anyway.

snip

You're most certainly welcome [he replied with an equal flavoring of
dismissive, off-handed insincerity].

--
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Double-click the comma in question & look at the Italics button on the
formatting toolbar. If the button is pressed in, the comma is italicized -
If the button is popped out the comma *isn't* italicized... But as Graham
suggested if the document is properly formatted it shouldn't be necessary to
check every comma in the document. If styles are used single characters
simply don't get left out of the process.

If a certain phrase is suspect, select the phrase and look at the button. If
*any* of the phrase isn't italicized the button will be popped out and
clicking it twice or - better yet - reapplying the appropriate style will
reformat the selected content completely.

I understand where you're coming from & have had to deal with many people in
a similar situation. You've learned to use WP effectively & have been forced
to use a different program against your will. The natural tendency is to
fight it every step of the way rather than learning to use the new tool, but
it isn't a matter of "better or worse" it's simply a matter of *different*

On another level, I sincerely hope that

Ok genious,

wasn't written with the venomous sarcastic tone the phrase evokes. The
people here aren't responsible for you situation and are volunteering there
time & knowledge to help you make the transition as smooth as possible.
Don't take your anger & resentment out on them.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/18/07 5:00 AM, in article
, "ALeiS"
wrote:

Ok genious, how do you see ALL the text formatting at the same time? For
example, in the world of legal writing, it is important that text and
citations
use several different text attributes (italics, smallcaps, underline, bold),
and
there are people who get upset if a comma isn't italicized. It's a real
pain to
have to arrow through the text a letter at a time to check on the font
attributes, and it's too easy to miss things like that just by glancing over
the text and trying to guess based on visual impression. I am not one of
those individuals gifted with the ability to discern whether or not a comma
is italicized. So is there or is there not a way to see all the attibutes
or
formatting or codes or whatever you want to call them--all at the same time
and not in some box floating at the right of the page that only shows the
attributes of a little piece at a time?

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

You might want to read this article...

Is there life after "Reveal Codes"?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm

And you might also want to learn how Word works. Realize it is NOT WP
and works differently.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:23:02 -0700, "Rachel King" Rachel
wrote:

Help. Please urge Microsoft to give us "REVEAL CODES" like the reveal
codes
in Corel's WORD PERFECT not the "reveal codes" in Microsoft Word.
Microsoft
words' reveal codes is worthless -- it only shows some codes, That's why I
still love Corel's Word Perfect because when we have a problem with
formatting or anything we can turn on "reveal codes" and we can see every
single code and we can try to delete various codes to ascertain what is
causing the problem. I still don't know how or why some key strokes cause
different effects and if we had "reveal codes" which would reveal ALL
codes,
we could figure out what causes problems on our own. We need to be able to
troubleshoot ourselves and we cannot so long as we do not have reveal
codes!