WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Backwards apostrophes - why??

Hi there! Backwards apostrophes can be frustrating, but luckily there's a simple fix. This issue is likely caused by a language setting in Word that is set to a language that uses backwards apostrophes. Here's how you can change it:
  1. Open the document that has the backwards apostrophes.
  2. Click on the "Review" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Set Language" button in the "Proofing" section.
  4. In the "Language" dialog box, make sure the "Detect language automatically" checkbox is unchecked.
  5. Select the language you want to use from the list of languages.
  6. Click the "Default..." button to set this language as the default for all new documents.
  7. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

This should fix the issue and prevent backwards apostrophes from appearing in future documents. If you have any other documents with backwards apostrophes, you'll need to repeat these steps for each of them.