Lisa

Thanks so much for the information. It explains the "strange" behavior I
experienced. Now seems combine serveral documents to one is not as simple as
we thought. The solution I am thinking of is (A) go back to the original
author (since the process is automatic from VB) and let them know: (1).
Should give a uniqu name for any customized style used in document. (2).
There is chance to lose the format/style if customize existing style. (B)
Write some codes to open different documents and rename the styles customized
and re-apply it to the paragraph then combine the documents.

Any different suggestion?

Thanks and regards,
Lisa

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The bottom line is "No, there is no way." See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...xtChanges.html If you want
to retain distinct formatting, you'll need to rename the styles in one or
the other of the documents.

"Lisa Fan" Lisa wrote in message
I try to combine several documents to one big document using insert file.
The problem I am experiencing is: if document 1 I inserted has customized
style (i.e. define "Body Text 2" with a underline), then when I insert
document 2 (document 2 has different customized style of "Body Text 2"

with
Bold and without underline), document 2 lost it's own "Body Text 2"
definition and show up the same style that defined in document 1 (with
underline). Is there anyway that I can keep both definition of "Body Text
2"???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lisa