More accurately, Greg's method gives you one space for every unhighlighted
character (and space?) in the document.

"Greg Maxey" gro.spvm@yexamg (thats my e-mail address backwards) wrote in
message ...
Troubled,

^p and [!^13] are just a few of a practically limitless array of codes

that
you can use to define your Word searches. ^p and ^13 both represent the
paragraph mark. The ! and [ ] are wildcards. In this case [!^13} means
find everything but a paragraph mark. Here are some links to provide you
with the keys to the kingdom when using Word Find and Replace:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197855

http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Remember, the method I proposed leaves empty space where unhighlighted

text
appeared. If your highlighting is sparese you could be left with lots of
white space. Suzanne's adapation is much more practical if all you want

is
the highlighted text condensed together.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Troubled!! wrote:
Greg/Suzanne,

Thanks for the rapid response, I will try tonight. Btw, 3 minutes is
fast from my perspective.

before I try the hints can you explain what is meant by:

^p and [!^13] ?

sorry to be ignorant.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

I concede :-). With 150 pages of dummy text and about 25% of it
highlighted the process took about 3 minutes ;-(

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
My "very short" passage was my lorem ipsum AutoText, which is a
little over a page. Given the amount of time the Replace operation
took, I would not fancy using it on a document of even 20 pages,
much less 150!

"Greg" wrote in message
Suzanne,

Your sample while "very short" was obviously longer than mine which
didn't include a paragraph mark. My intent with the method I
proposed was to display the highlighted text and maintain the
spacial relationship in the document. I see the error of my ways
and a better way to that end would be to use [!^13] vice * in the
find what block. Your method is on the mark for displaying the
highlighted text condensed together.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I tried this on a very short passage, and the Replace operation
took quite a long time, leaving the highlighted sections followed
by hundreds of spaces extending out beyond the margin. If I
instead leave the "Find what" box blank (no need to use
wildcards) and
replace with a space, then all the highlighted text remains, each
chunk separated from the next by a space. I had highlighted single
words, but if there are paragraphs highlighted, you might want to
use ^p instead of a space to separate them. I found that that
worked better when I had highlighted paragraphs or parts of
paragraphs.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Greg" wrote in message
Eric,

You can use EditReplace to make something work for you.

Save a copy of your document first!!!

For example if you only want to display and print highligthed
text
and maintain the spacial relationship between text, you could use
the following method.

EditReplaceMoreUse Wildcards.

Click the FormatHighlight button
Click the FormatHightlight button again.

Below the find what field you should see "not highlight"

Type a * in the find what field

Type a single space in the Replace with field.

Click replace all.

You can use the undo button (or CTRL+z) to restore the changes.

"Troubled!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the key
points. I would like at the end of it to display and print just
the highlighted text component ie, hide the unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't
only me to select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another
approach.

Thanks

Eric.