Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default will word tell me how long I have spent typing

That definitely sounds like a good plan. Windows 7 is the first version of
Windows I've actually liked. Perhaps it's because it's such a stark contrast
from Vista. But, whatever... it's definitely a step up from all of the
previous versions (IMO).

--

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Eventually I'll have it. At this point I'll probably end up skipping Vista
and just waiting to get a laptop with Windows 7.

http://word.mvps.org

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
You need Windows 7!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Well, I generally try to keep the number of open windows down to the
point where they can all be legibly displayed on the Taskbar, which
limits me to four or five, the first oof which is always Document1 (my
sandbox) and the second is Outlook Express.

http://word.mvps.org

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
Incredible! ;-)

--

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I actually do usually close documents when I'm not working on them,
aside from brief excursions to check email and that sort of thing.

http://word.mvps.org

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
For me, as Terry discovered, the timer just keeps on going... making
it useful only if you have the incredible habit of closing a document
when you're not working on it.

--

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I get the impression it stops when the window is minimized or not in
focus.

http://word.mvps.org

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Herb

I thought the timer suspended after a period of inactivity? If it
doesn't, then it is pretty useless.

Terry Farrell

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
But keep in mind that the time shown just reflects how long the
document has been open. I have one here that's been open for
weeks. I keep it open as a reminder for me to work on it... which
I haven't done in weeks. Good thing nobody's being billed on the
basis of what it "thinks". ;-)

--

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Right-click on the QAT and select Customize. Choose All Commands
from the drop down and then scroll down to 'Advanced Document
Properties' and add it to the QAT. When you need to know the
editing time, click on the Advanced Document Properties, Statics
tab.

Oooh! Nice one! Thanks for that Terry - BTW, presumably you meant
"statistics" not "Statics"?