Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
anon k

Default Restart Page No Deletes Even Page Footer

chris wrote:
Hi All

Long document with 4-5 sections currently. Different first page.
Different odd and even pages. Significant Heading 2 usage. Next page
section break at the end of the first (title - nothing in footer)
page.

I'm inserting the page numbers as follows:
1. Click in body of page TWO
2. View, Footer (which is NOT linked to previous)
3. Click Insert Page Number button on floating toolbar
4. Highlight this entire field, then Click Format Page Number button
[choose options: Include Chapter No (Heading 2), Start at 1].

Results:
1. Even page footer on this page disappears and all of my text is
moved to page 3 which is an ODD page footer. The page no there is 1.
2. The next footer (an EVEN page footer) has page no 2.

It sounds like you're trying to force the page numbers to go on the
wrong pages. The physical realities of codex binding led to odd page
numbers always being on the right-hand side.

You can get around this if your printing and copying scheme requires it:
put a calculation field into the footer, {page}+1 or {page}-1.

Variations on that can be used to make columns simulate multiple pages
per sheet.

Assumptions:
. A programmer somewhere decided that if I want to start at one in a
new section, it must begin with an ODD page footer?

For once, the programmer followed the conventional typographic tradition!

. Rove was right - "WHAT THE?" (apologies to non-Australian audiences;
comedy show host - recommended viewing).

This Rove person must have missed the codicology classes when he was at
university.