Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OhioTech OhioTech is offline

Default Change paper size; Word changes to invalid margins

Word is not helpful in these ways:
Term "printable area" in message is not found in Word Help.
Word did not provide way for user to get additional information.
Word did not explain effect of clicking Ignore option.
Word tells user to click Fix to resolve problem, but it does not resolve problem; instead
Word changed margins to INVALID values for paper size of 7 x 9, then
Word blames user for choosing bad values.

This is NOT user friendly!

I checked with the printer manual; it states custom sizes are OK; just load
paper on right side. I printed an Excel sheet on 7 x 9 paper. The printer
printed the info and advanced the paper thru. That's exactly what I expected.
If it can do this, I'd say the print driver supports 7 x 9 paper.

I wouldn't think that a paper size smaller than standard 8.5 x 11 should be
a problem. If the print driver supports 8.5 x 11, what's the problem with a
smaller size? The printed image starts at upper left corner as we see it on
screen, and transferred to actual paper as it is driven thru the printer.

I would think this would be a "piece of cake" for Word.
I'm greatly disappointed.

"TF" wrote:

This is almost certainly because the print driver does not support 7 x 9
paper size. It is Word interrogating the print driver that determines the
minimum margins and paper size permitted. Try a different printer (and
driver) and test to see if it works correctly.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"OhioTech" wrote in message
: Word 2002
:
: Default paper size: 8.5 x 11
: Margins: Top and bottom 1, Left and right 1.25
:
: Change paper size to Custom 7 x 9
:
: Message: One or more margins are set outside the printable area of the
: page. Choose the Fix button to increase the appropriate margins.
:
: Click Fix.
:
: Word changed margins to Top 1, Bottom 9.5, Left 3.75, Right 3.75.
: OK
:
: Message: The settings you chose for the left and right margins, column
: spacing, or paragraph indents are too large for the page width in some
: sections.
:
: Why did Word change to margins that are no good?
: