Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default REF \p Switch: language setting

It does sound like a bug, yes. I haven't seen a Knowledge Base article
on the subject, though. :-(

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On 2012-07-17 09:31, FrankL wrote:
'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;492842']If you also add the \* CHARFORMAT switch to the PAGEREF field,
before
formatting the field in English, does that help?

No, unfortunately not.
I verified that CHARFORMAT is effective by also applying some character
formatting to the "R" character of REF. Style is correctly used, but
language does not change.

I have also tried exchanging REF by PAGEREF - same behaviour.

Finally I have even changed system language settings, default location,
keyboard layout, number format etc. to English(US) - no change to the
REF field.

It also happened that field expansion was slightly instable: the result
changed between first and second update ("F9") between "unterhalb" and
"unten", then stayed stable. But I don't know how to exactly reproduce
this.

For me it feels like a bug in Word, but maybe I have missed something
else?

A workaround would be a nested field like
{ IF { REF ...}="unte*" "below" "above" }
or for PAGEREF
{ IF { PAGEREF ...}="unte*" "below" { IF { PAGEREF ... }="oben" "above"
"on page {PAGEREF *without \p*...}" } }
and place a HYPERLINK on the result (Ctrl-K) as required.
.. but this tends to be too complicated for everyday use

Regards - Frank