College Student

Default How do you REALLY turn off automatically update styles in Word 200

I am about ready to tear my hair out getting the automatically update syles
OFF in Word 2003, Finally, Forever, For Good, Never to reoccur again. I am
so tired of following all the instructions in the help menu to the letter and
still every time I center one word, or change one tab, I have to go up to
edit and UNDO AUTOMATICALLY UPDATES STYLES, as the WHOLE DOCUMENT CHANGED.
Yes, I am yelling - sorry - I have spent hours at different times trying to
get this fixed. I am a college student and this makes typing and working in
my essays so frustrating. I hope Microsoft creates an addition that you can
buy WITHOUT the ability for this function to even exist!