Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Show comments in balloons and no mark up or review pane

Pam,

As we have both stated in earlier messages, "Track formatting" (as well as
"Track moves") is document-specific, which means that if you change your
template you will have the setting turned off (or on, if that is what you
prefer) for all new documents created from that template.

My point was that I have seen style modifications being indicated (in
balloons and/or in the Reviewing pane) even if I keep "Track formatting"
turned off. However, I just tested this in a new, blank document and I don't
seem to able to reproduce the issue anymore. Perhaps I made a mistake the
last time I tested it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
Hi, Stefan, as far as I can tell, "Track formatting" in the track changes
options dialog refers only to tracking formatting for the purpose of
showing
the markup. And as I described in my earlier posting, I have gotten that
setting to stick. It was very frustrating when I couldn't get it to
stick.
I was just on the point of giving up and asking for help when I decided to
try modifying normal.dotm. It works.

My goal has been to _not_ see formatting changes in balloons. For Word
2002&3, I recorded a macro that would accept formatting changes and used
it
a dozen times a day. I still use it to get rid of formatting balloons in
my
old docs and in new that come to me. How nice it is that I don't have to
do
use that macro so often anymore.

As for the Word options keep track of formatting, I've never noticed my
setting not sticking. In W2003, I switched back and forth all the time,
depending on whether my job was to clean up or troubleshoot a doc or to
format or edit it. W2007 has better options for what shows up in the
styles
pane, so I leave keep track of formatting on most of the time.

Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:
I haven't tested "Track moves," but I can confirm that "Track formatting"
isn't 100% reliable. It seems as if Word tracks the creation and
modification of styles, even if you turn off "Track formatting" in the
Track
Changes Options dialog box. :-(

'Track Moves" is just awful. (1) It only works on complete
"sentences" (as Word defines "sentence") or bigger; (2) it doesn't
work on text of any length that contains Tracked Changes; (3) it can't
be Rejected with Reject Change (I didn't try Accepting, but if _that_
doesn't work, it would be utterly useless); (4) you can't make Tracked
Changes in a Moved passage.

(Track Formatting is just annoying. It insists on using balloons, so
even if you _want_ to record a style change or a font change, it uses
up space that the Comments need. And turning it off, even in the
normal.dotm template, doesn't stick.)

On Oct 10, 1:45 pm, "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe
wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know about track moves (Nearly all my work is still in
the

[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]
Message posted via
OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-docmanagement/200910/1