Charles Kenyon

See: How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Word
document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. (For
bullets see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html, the
subject is related.)

This is based on ...

Word's Numbering Explained
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm

Additional information you may find useful or need is at:

How to Create a Template, Part II
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

You may also want to look at how this ties into TOC construction at
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/complex_documents.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jackie" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been trying for ages to get round this problem - can anyone help?

Some of our docs have a mixture of paragraphs with heading 1 and
heading 2 styles - some which are paragraph headings, with bold, and
some which are numbered paragraphs with text e.g

1. HEADING

1. text of paragraph.

I want to generate the toc using only those styles which are headings.
I've tried creating a separate style for headings, but can't get the
numbering to run properly throughout the document. I thought I had
cracked it when I created a style based on heading 1 called heading 1 +
bold. However, when I try to restart any of these numbers, the style
goes back to plain heading 1. HELP?