Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Heading Tabs and Indents Keep Changing

Thank Shauna for explaining it all so clearly.

"Journey51" wrote in message
Your link worked! Thank you so much--you are a lifesaver! I'd still be

at
this if not for you. You're the best!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what you've done, but you need to modify the style
itself, and you need to do it through the Numbering dialog, as all the
settings governing left and hanging indents and the tab stop for text

after
the number are all set there and override any settings you may make in

the
Paragraph dialog.

For more help with setting up outline numbering, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Journey51" wrote in message
Hi--thanks so much for getting back to me!! I REALLY appreciate your

help! : )
If I understand what you are saying, at first it was in the paragraph

(the
text part of the heading?) dialog. I would tell the text to be, say,
indented and tabbed .5". So, now all my text has the correct spacing

between
the heading number and text. Now, all my headings are indented 0.13"

from
the left margin. I will correct it, updated it, save it, but when I

close
the file and reopen, the headings are right back to being 0.13" from

the
left
margin. I might add, this is a rather large file (300 pages, 14MB+)

and
put
together from several files.

Have a good evening!