Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Directory mail merge

Hi Walter,

I am unable to create my own document to mimic "Mailmerge Main Document.doc".

The procedures for creating your own mailmerge main document, linked to your own data source, are set out in section headed 'Set Up
the Main Mailmerge Document'.

The connection to "Catalogue Merge Data.xls" from "Mailmerge Main Document.doc"
uses a technique which is hidden to me.

2. The 'Main Mailmerge Document' attached to the tutorial has already been through the process described at 1, above.

The connection also allows money amounts like "$8,000" to be passed where I see "8000"

3. The $ symbols in the tutorial's merged output appear in the tutorial's data file. If they don't appear in your data file and you
want them in your output, you'll need to format the relevant mergefields with the appropriate numeric picture switch. The field
coding under the heading 'Format the Output and/or Insert Additional Text Before the Repeated Data' has such a switch (see also
Word's help file for more details).

Much less significant is the display of "Coffs Harbour" on a line which has "Justify" set. On my example, Harbour is thrown to the
right by the justification; you avoid it. How?

4. In the tutorial, the paragraphs containing the mergefields were formatted with left & decimal tabs at 5 and 10cm, respectively.
That's what controls the paragraph layout. Obviously, if you paste the code into a paragraph with a different layout, the results
will differ.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message ...
In message of Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:14:35 in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields,
macropod writes
Hi Kimberly,

For a working solution that you might be able to modify to suit your needs, see:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=723456
The example there is based on an Excel data source and requires you to insert a dummy 'last' data record into the data source.

macropod,

I downloaded this, learnt a lot, and have some questions.

I can get a working merge by pasting code from "Catalogue Mailmerge Tutorial.doc" to "Mailmerge Main Document.doc". I am unable to
create my own document to mimic "Mailmerge Main Document.doc".

The connection to "Catalogue Merge Data.xls" from "Mailmerge Main Document.doc" uses a technique which is hidden to me. It allows
the folder to be relocated and maintain the connection. It does not use Cindy Meister's VBA method to establish the connection.

The connection also allows money amounts like "$8,000" to be passed where I see "8000" and refers to the whole document rather
than a sheet. How?

I am sure others will appreciate an explanation of the techniques.

Much less significant is the display of "Coffs Harbour" on a line which has "Justify" set. On my example, Harbour is thrown to the
right by the justification; you avoid it. How?
There seems to be a normal space between the two words.
(Ctrl+F finds a space in Excel where I do not find anything like Word's Hide/Unhide to show graphic glyphs to render whitespace.)

P.S.
Can you suggest a probe which will allow me to answer such questions for myself? If necessary, I guess I could learn to read RTF
;(
--
Walter Briscoe