Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] alanmuskat@gmail.com is offline

Default Suddenly captions and other text in document map and TOC

Menl's solution works for me, but just to clarify, I used a style that, to my knowledge, I wasn't currently using, but I had to set it to Outline Level 1 (level 9 did not work for me). Then I created a first line to the document and applied that style to it (making it the last line in the document also did not work for me). I added a second line reminding me not to remove or alter the first line. You can probably set the format of these lines to be hidden text, but then you might erase them by accident.

I've suffered with this for years, so thanks to everyone for sharing your findings.