Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How can I keep a picture from moving as I add text?

And my advice on this is not to try to insert pictures at all until editing
is complete. Instead, insert a notation of where the picture will go:

[Insert Figure 1 about here]

[Photo of Grandmother goes here]

and the like. Then go back at the end and slot them in, being aware that
you'll have to make some compromises (in my current venture, I've had a
*lot* of compromises and an equal number of frustrations, whereby I've come
to more fully sympathize with other users' infuriation with Word's handling
of wrapped graphics). To the extent that you can put them inline (in table
cells if necessary), you'll retain more of your sanity.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:35:16 -0800, apoch
wrote:

I am writing a document of 30 or so pages and have about that many
pictures.
Is their a way to fix the pictures (and a text box) in position as I add
or
edit text?Essentially I have the pictures and want to add descriptive
material as I go.

It's a frequently requested feature, but no, Word can't do that. Every
floating object (pictures and text boxes) is "anchored" to a specific
text paragraph. You can specify the object's horizontal and vertical
positions (in the Format Picture or Format Text Box dialog) as being
relative to the page instead of relative to the anchor. However, if
the anchor text moves to another page, the object will also move to
that page.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman