Doug Robbins

Use an If...then...Else field to use the data from the field if it exists
and ignore it if it doesn't

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Address2 } ="" { MERGFIELD City } { MERGEFIELD Address2 }¶
{ MERGEFIELD City } }

Insert a carriage return whern the ¶ appears in the above construction.
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"aehan" wrote in message
In Word 2003, when I use an existing data file (does not have Microsoft
field
names) and use the More Items... method of inserting the fields to the
letters/labels, the result of the merge leaves blank lines where there is,
for example, an Address 2 field if there is no data in that record. It
still
happens if I match the fields. I don't want to go and change all of the
headings in all of my data sources it would take forever and because I am
UK
based none of them have headings like City, State or Zip Code.

In the old version of mail merge there was a setting for do not leave
blank
lines. Does anyone know what I can do? Any suggestions would be
gratefully
received. Thankyou.